Entries from October 2005 ↓
October 25th, 2005 — general
A while back I got to thinking about how there are so many levels of information and also of creativity. Alot of popular media these days is actually just a compilation of pre-existing creative works – resulting in what I’m going to call the subcreative process of compilation.
Examples of this process are link permeated sites like slashdot and other various places. Although this could be argued as being news, the actual content is usually created on other sites and just summarised on slashdot. Of course shashdot adds in the whole aspect of community and discussion of the news, so that part is novel.
Also, DJing and the process of mixing music has taken off in the last decade as a alternative to music that is performed in a traditionally instrumental way. The DJ compiles tracks and adds their own spin onto how the tracks merge and overlay on one another.
I suspect that human culture has only recently become large and in depth enough to support this niche for compilations.
This has been a night time musing and shouldn’t be taken overly seriously.
October 25th, 2005 — general
As I mentioned earlier I got a USB enclosure for my laptop’s HDD. I had some serious troubles getting it working. In the end, after discussions with the seller of the enclosure it turned out that the USB enclosure wasn’t meant to have weird unprintable characters in its vendor name so I sent it back to be replaced. Viola! The replacement works like a charm and I’ve been enjoying the benefits of being able to have a copy of all my work and the current tv series I’m watching etc etc all on hand. Plus the case is shiny.
Anyhow, after getting this drive working I’m now interested in tools to automate the process of keeping my work up to date. Plus it needs to work in Linux and Windows and be run from a command line so it can be automated.
Unison is the tool that fits the job.
I’ll go further in depth when I actually set it up exactly how I want with example profile files (A profile defines a directory to synchronise). It’ll most likely involve creating hotplug scripts to automatically launch unison in linux when I connect the drive. Anybody know of a windows solution for executing a script when a USB device with a particular ID is attached?
October 20th, 2005 — general
(And like him, statements that are true about me are in bold with my comments in italics)
- I miss somebody right now.
- I don’t watch much TV these days.
- I love olives. Not really no.
- I own lots of books. I could own alot more too if I wasn’t wanting to minimise my material possessions.
- I wear glasses or contact lenses.
- I love to play video games.
- I’ve tried marijuana. And it doesn’t do much for me
- I’ve watched porn movies. Find a guy that hasn’t at some stage.
- I have been in a threesome.
- I have been the psycho-ex in a past relationship. I’ve been generally psycho in the past now, but I’m alot more mature now.
- I believe honesty is usually the best policy. Without a doubt.
- I curse a whole fucking lot. I get bored of the same words. Vocabulary people!
- I have changed a lot mentally over the last year. It is the same every year – and if I ever stop changing I’ll be bored.
- I carry my knife/razor everywhere with me. Not anymore!
- I’m TOTALLY smart. SMRT, no less. Smart enough to know I’m not smart enough.
- I’ve broken someone’s bones. Do I count as “someone”?
- I have a secret that I am ashamed to reveal.
- I hate the rain.
- I’m paranoid. It’s not paranoia if they ARE after you!
- I would get plastic surgery if it were 100% safe, free of cost, and scar-free. Sure, and I’d get it frequently to try out all sorts of body modifications.
- I need money right now. But I’m not especially poor.
- I love sushi. Blerg.
- I talk really, really fast. I wish I could!
- I have fresh breath in the morning. Yeah right.
- I have long hair. Not anymore!
- I have lost money in Las Vegas. But if you find some there, then maybe I have…
- I have at least one sibling. Three in fact.
- I was born in a country outside of the U.S.
- I have worn fake hair/fingernails/eyelashes in the past.
- I couldn’t survive without Caller I.D.
- I like the way that I look. If I do I’ll stop trying to make myself better and stagnate.
- I have lied to a good friend in the last 6 months. Not that I know of.
- I know how to cornrow.
- I am usually pessimistic.
- I have a lot of mood swings.
- I think prostitution should be legalized.
- I think Britney Spears is pretty. Maybe in her heyday, but not anymore.
- I slept with a roommate.
- I have a hidden talent. It’s the ability to hide my talents.
- I’m always hyper no matter how much sugar I have
- I have a lot of friends. I have few friends, but it is probably my own fault.
- I am currently single.
- I have pecked someone of the same sex. If peck means kissed.
- I enjoy talking on the phone.
- I practically live in sweatpants or PJ pants.
- I love to shop.
- I enjoy window shopping.
- I would rather shop than eat.
- I would classify myself as ghetto.
- I’m bourgie and have worn a sweater tied around my shoulders.
- I’m obsessed with my Xanga or Livejournal.
- I don’t hate anyone. I dislike them.
- I’m a pretty good dancer. Although I could just be deluded.
- I’m completely embarrassed to be seen with my mother.
- I have a cell phone.
- I believe in a god. It’s alright, because he believes in me.
- I have passed out drunk in the past 6 months.
- I’ve rejected someone before.
- I currently like someone.
- I have no idea what I want to do for the rest of my life.
- I want to have children in the future. I may adopt, but really kids take alot of time, and I have no time.
- I have changed a diaper before.
- I’ve called the cops on a friend before.
- I am a member of the Tom Green fan club.
- I’m not allergic to anything. Except leprosy.
- I have a lot to learn.
- I am shy around the opposite sex. But I’m also shy around the same sex.
- I’m online 24/7, even as an away message.
- I have at least 5 away messages saved.
- I have tried alcohol or drugs before.
- I have made a move on a friend’s significant other or crush in the past.
- I own the “South Park” movie.
- I have avoided assignments at work/school to be on Xanga or Livejournal.
- When I was a kid I played “the birds and the bees” with a neighbor or chum.
- I enjoy some country music. I’m sure there is something I like.
- I would die for my best friends. If it was for a cause, not just on their whim.
- I think that Pizza Hut has the best pizza. Hell’s pizza is ambrosia.
- I watch soap operas whenever I can.
- I’m obsessive, and often a perfectionist.
- I have used my sexuality to advance my career. I don’t really exude sexuality.
- I love Michael Jackson, scandals and all. Poor child trapped in a man’s body.
- I know all the words to Slick Rick’s “Children’s Story”.
- Halloween is awesome. If you dress up as pirates and ninjas.
- I watch Spongebob Squarepants and I like it.
- I have dated a close friend’s ex.
- I like surveys/memes. Love/hate relationship, I should be doing work.
- I am happy at this moment. Happiness seems to be elluding me recently.
- I’m obsessed with guys.
- Conservative Republican.
- I am punk rockish. Not really, but it’s fun to pretend.
- I am preppy.
- I go for older guys/girls, not younger. How about the same age?
- I study for tests most of the time.
- I tie my shoelaces differently from anyone I’ve ever met. I use magic to tie them.
- I can work on a car. I can also work under a car.
- I love my job.
- I am comfortable with who I am right now.
- I have more than just my ears pierced. Used to, but they just get annoying and in the way.
- I walk barefoot wherever I can.
- I have jumped off a bridge. Fun times.
- I love sea turtles.
- I spend ridiculous amounts of money on makeup.
- I believe in prophetic dreams. It doesn’t matter, they believe in me!
- I plan on achieving a major goal/dream. I’ll be the first man on Mars, just you wait.
- I am proficient on a musical instrument. If by proficient you mean I used to be proficient, yes.
- I worked at McDonald’s restaurant.
- I hate office jobs.
- I love sci-fi movies.
- I think water rules.
- I went to college out of state. Moved islands which is close enough I guess.
- I am adopted.
- I like sausage. Well I do kind of, but I’m vegetarian for the most part.
- I am a pyro. Twisted firestarter.
- I love the Red Sox.
- I have thrown up from crying too much. Had a panic attack though.
- I have been intentionally hurt by people that I loved. But I deserved it.
- I love kisses when they’re done well.
- I fall for the worst people and have been hurt every time.
- I adore bright colors. Not for living around, but when they sparkle in my eyes from reality altering substances I do!
- I love Dear Abby.
- I can’t live without black eyeliner.
- I think school is awesome. The kids aren’t but being able to be lazy is. Maybe that is why I haven’t left for 18 years.
- I think pigtails serve a purpose.
- I don’t know why the hell I just did this stupid thing.
- I usually like covers better than originals.
- I don’t like multi-textured ice cream.
- I think John Cusack is adorable.
- I fucking hate chain theme restaurants like Applebees and TGIFridays.
- I watch Food Network way too much.
- I love coaching youth sports.
- I can pick up things with my toes. I’ll pick YOU up with my toes.
- I can’t whistle. <whistle>
- I can move my tongue in waves, much like a snakes’ slither. I can try though.
- I have ridden/owned a horse.
- I still have every journal I’ve ever written in.
- I can’t stick to a diet.
- I talk in my sleep.
- I’ve often thought that I was born in the wrong century. This is the century where everything is happening baby!
- I try to forget things by drowning them out with loads of distractions. Works like a charm too.
- Climbing trees is a brilliant past-time. I can’t think of anything better.
- I have jazz in my blood. Jazz is the only genre where the artist enjoys the music more than the audience.
- I would not be friends if they weren’t family.
- I wear a toe ring.
- I have tattoos.
- I love vaginas.
- I can’t stand at LEAST one person that I work with.
- I am a caffeine junkie.
- I know who Santos L. Halper is.
- I read trashy romance novels and I am ashamed.
- I love wrestling. Not watching it, but wrestling with people is fun!
- I am completely tree-huggy spiritual, and I’m not ashamed at all.
- If I knew I would get away with it, I would commit at least one murder. I would commit a whole bunch of them, purely to make the world a better place of course.
- I cosplayed or know what cosplaying is. Only the latter.
- I have been to over 15 conventions. On about 8, but I’m still young.
- I will collect anything, and the more nonsensical, the better. I have a collecting addiction, so I try my best to avoid it.
- I enjoy a nice glass of wine with dinner. Or beer if the meal suits it.
- I’m an artist.
- I have a goal to collect every Johnny Depp movie ever made. Sounds like a challenge… urk my addiction!
- I am ambidexterous.
- I sleep with so many stuffed animals, I can hardly fit on my bed. This was true when I was a kid though.
- My computer has a name. extropy, order, complexity and fractal.
- If it weren’t for having to see other people naked, I’d live in a nudist colony.
- I have terrible teeth.
- I hate my toes.
- I did this Meme even though I wasn’t tagged by the person who took it before me. Not by name, anyway.
- I have more friends on the internet than in real life. That is really quite sad I think.
- I have lived in either three different states or countries.
- I am extremely flexible. Working on it.
- I love hugs more than kisses.
- I want to own my own business.
- I smoke or have tried cigarettes.
- I have met a star from ABC’s LOST.
- I spend way too much time on the computer than on anything else.
- Nobody has ever said I’m normal. You’re normal 😛
- Sad movies, games, fics and the like can cause a trickle of tear every now and then. I’m the sensitive new age guy.
- I am proficient in the use of many types firearms and combat weapons. Working on this too.
- I like the way women look in stylized men’s suits.
- I don’t like it when people are unpleased or seem unpleased with me.
- I have been described as a dreamer or likely to have my head up in the clouds.
- I have played tennis with my non dominant hand before
- I have played strip poker with someone else before.
- I read the labels on food, shampoo, and other things just because. I’m usually checking for something if I read them.
- I have or have had emotional problems for which I have sought professional help. But I realised that it is more about being able to talk about your problems then them actually knowing more than me about anything.
- I believe in ghosts and the paranormal, I just don’t make it easy for them to convince me.
- I can’t stand being alone.
- I have at least one obsession at any given time.
- I weigh myself, pee/poo, and then weigh myself again.
- I consistently spend way too much money on obsessions-of-the-moment.
- I know what THAC0 means. Who doesn’t?
- I have a signed Tom Servo head.
- I would rather sit in the same spot doing nothing than do homework.
- I love eating regular flavored Crest toothpaste.
- I’ve never been in love
- I like angry boys too much for my own good.
- I have made one or more fancharacters for almost every fandom I’ve ever had.
- I organize to the extent of being OCD, but my living space is generally a mess. I feel anxious if everything isn’t just so.
- I have, at times in the past, mocked someone else for liking something I thought was stupid, only to become obsessed with it myself. Usually the other way round.
- I have bad taste in music.
- I like tuna salad on saltine crackers instead of bread.
- I think people that say that “these are the best days of your life!” to school kids should be taken out and beaten. Repeatedly. Especially if they actually believe it. They are the best days for not having to do anything. But adult life’s freedom
- I own many many books I have never read, and probably never will because no matter how broke I am, I still manage to acquire books almost as fast as I can read them. Ebooks anyone? With over 1400 waiting to be read I’ll always have things to read.
October 6th, 2005 — general
That’s right, all in capitals too.
Why? Because they frequently decide to show drivelish movies, and whenever they have something good coming… it is postponed for months. Take NightWatch for example, which I was highly looking forward to. Until yesterday they had it has coming soon, to be released today. But low and behold it has disappeared off the face of their site – there go my plans to go to the movie for the first time in months. By itself this wouldn’t be an issue, especially if there were other movie theaters showing the movies I wanted to see.
But this happened with Sin City, they said it’d be released in April here, and then a week before it was due out it disappeared, and got delayed for 4 months.
Next I’m guessing they’ll delay Serenity too. <grumble>
October 4th, 2005 — general
This time Peter Jackson is Exec. Producing the Halo movie – yet another story involving epic rings… although this time it is a huge ring world rather than a ring of power.
Another thing I have to say is that the progressive mix of Dave Gahan’s (the singer from Depeche Mode) “I need you” is absolutely f&^%ing devine. I can’t get enough of it. Of course if you don’t like dance music you’ll hate it – but it is so sublime it sends shivers down me.